The last 72 hours: Photos and commentary

These last 72 hours have been a whirlwind to say the least. John and I knew that our lives would change drastically and we maintained a realistic ideal of what to expect. However, until you experience something so life changing, you never truly know. This is why my blog has not been updated as much as I’d like. Reality set in that I really, REALLY needed sleep and this is my first time online via computer since my labor and delivery post written the day Wes was born. {As a side note, I do apologize for the horrific grammar, but that’s what you get when you had a baby 22 hours earlier, LOL} When I look at my computer and then look at Wes, I always opt to be with my son. Right now Daddy is snuggling with his baby, and they look so peaceful together. So, mommy guilt aside, I feel good about taking the time to update you all with photos and commentary about these last 72 hours…

Monday was a crazy day between having visitors and someone in to check on Wes, me {TMI, trust me!}, and to check on how I was doing breast feeding. The lactation consultants at my hospital were amazing and entirely understood that with Wes being underweight I needed to supplement with formula, but they wanted me to try and breast feed him every 30 minutes. What!? That was impossible due to my anxious family wanting to see Wes. Besides, I’m not in a third world country where it’s possible to breast feed all day long. It’s a hard balance trying to meet the needs of your kid, the LLL, and your family under these circumstances, so there was a little give on all sides, except for Wes of course. Through all the controlled chaos, I was able to sneak some time with my bug.

My first bonding experience with Wes.

It’s hard for me to admit this, but I didn’t bond with Wes from the first moment he was born, I am just so glad that John did. It had nothing to do with Down syndrome, let me be clear about that. I just think that it was really hard for me to fathom that this was my child through all the pain and exhaustion I was recovering from. {I was also a bit upset that they didn’t give him to me right after he was born, but they needed to make sure that he was okay.} However, after a 2 hour nap late Monday afternoon, I was in love. He’s my world now.

Late Monday night, my amazing in-laws came to visit their first grandchild and brought along John’s younger brother, Mark. Mark absolutely loved spending time with his nephew and I don’t think he wanted to let him go. He’s going to be an awesome uncle!

The next day I was moved to the recovery wing of the maternity ward. Is there a better name for “maternity ward”? It’s sounds so institutional, ha! Maybe labor and delivery something or other? I don’t know – whatever! In any event, my new room was very tiny compared to the Taj Mahal L&D room I had. I didn’t know that I would be moving, but it really wasn’t a problem except that I was the only one around to load up a cart with my stuff. What was hysterical, and may have peeved more sensitive women than myself, is that I had to move the massive cart while the nurse pushed Wes and the pump. The kicker is the second nurse that joined in and offered up help… to the other nurse. She pushed the breast pump while I trucked along with the big a** cart. It was a sight! Oh, I just laughed out loud, too ridiculous to believe!

Later on my mom came to spend time with me and Wes Love {Wessie Poo’s second nickname!}. I was a bit lonely compared to the hub bub of Monday, but it was good to have that time to relax. I honestly enjoyed doing nothing. Besides, the edima in my legs and a** were so bad that I couldn’t walk to far.

Grammy and her 4th grandson

After work John came by to spend some QT with us, and my sister and her husband came to visit as well. The day Wes was born, John’s mom gave us an amazing book to read to Wes at night. I’ve seen this book before, but it never made an impact on me like it did on Tuesday night when we read it to Wes before John went home.

This book is so special and if you haven’t read it, you should – immediately.

“On the night you were born,
the moon shone with such wonder
that the stars peeked in
to see you
and the night wind whispered,
‘Life will never be the same.’

Because there had never been
anyone like you…
ever in the world.”

When the wind whispered the baby’s name, we would say, “Wes, Wes, Wes…”

Crying yet?

Wednesday morning I learned that we were discharged to leave earlier than expected. I was so happy to go home, and even happier to know that Wes was healthy and his jaundice levels were stable and his heart murmur was gone. I couldn’t imagine better news than that.

Daddy was awesome and brought clothes that fit. Mommy packed ones that were way too big!

Mom picked me up around 10 and we were off! I couldn’t wait to bring Wes Love home!

The blanket was given to John when he was born.

The first day home was chaotic, and Thursday was worse, but we’re getting into a rhythm today. It’s nothing but love, regardless of the lack of sleep, fighting to get him to eat enough or latch correctly to breast feed. He’s our little trooper and it will be nothing but uphill from here. This is the story of the upside of Wes.

Well, it’s time for this post to come to an end. Wes is just too loveable to leave for long…


5 thoughts on “The last 72 hours: Photos and commentary

  1. Diane says:

    He is so so so adorable! I love that book to! But of course, we both could have guessed that already! lol Glad you are getting your rest finally. That is the hardest thing to balance the beginning. Sending you big huge hugs from ME and me!

  2. Ohhhh so cute!!!, hugs from mexico.

    Oh other top, let people snug him, Feed him and take the time to sleep

  3. Kim says:

    He is just too cute for words and I am so excited to come see him when you get your Sh**

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: